School Improvement Plan - Numeracy
Eglish NS. 2016
- Standardised test results in Numeracy for 2014 were analysed.
- Questionnaire was administered to pupils from 3rd – 6th classes to gauge the children’s opinions on numeracy in the school
- Whole school staff reflection on teaching and learning of Numeracy in the school was surveyed by way of a SWAT analysis at Staff Meetings and use of Haddington Road hours.
- All Staff contributed to a Maths Resources Inventory detailing what Maths resources were available in each room.
- Parents were questioned.
Summary of main areas requiring improvements
- Each classroom will contain a ‘Maths Wall’ which will be regularly updated with Maths Language and Information as it arises in Class Topics.
- Each student will keep an A5 Hardback Personal ‘Maths Dictionnary’ in which they will record new Maths Language as it arises.
- Acknowledging the success of the use of Numicon in the Junior Room, more frequent use of Numicon will be extended throughout the Middle Room and for students with SEN.
- Strategies to support pupils in the area of problem solving need to be agreed at whole school level.
To expose children to more mathematical language and provide opportunities to use this language
To improve the number of pupils stating that they are good at problem solving
To increase the opportunity for pupils to engage with Maths in the environmentRequired Actions
Success Criteria / Measurable Outcomes
Observation of children’s dialogue while engaged in collaborative and co-operative learning.
Using the Revoicing strategy to measure the attainment of mathematicial language taught.
Teachers will observe the children to see if they begin to demonstrate observable improvements in problem solving skills during classroom activities
Constantly using examples of ‘real-life’ Maths from Students’ own environment.
Using a variety of materials children will have opportunities to measure and record lengths of various objects and places in the school context
Assessing children’s accuracy and answers to activities provided
All teachers and SNA
Timeframe for Actions
End of June 2019
Review Date June 2019